Intro: I tried to be a web developer for a while, but it didn't work out. I stopped caring when I realized I'd spent 2 years in New York City without starting a band or playing any serious gigs; I was just writing SEO full-time on my laptop, while trying to hone developer skills. But ultimately I hated every minute of every day, because I did very little songwriting or rehearsing.
Maybe a healthier person could have handled all those things: working full-time, learning a new skill and finding a job in a new industry, and still rehearsing and writing new music. But I spent so much time hunched over a screen, and barely made ends meet. I felt like my life was getting sucked out of me, as I was ignoring my real passion and trying to impress people I hated. It started to feel like an exercise in hating myself.
So I did that: I quit. And, shortly after I quit my career search, I actually did find a nice job at a tech company; they don't mind my soft-spokenness, and they seem to care a lot for artists, too. It was the right thing at the right time, I guess.
Anyway, web development is still pretty fun and useful--I made this site, after all. And I made these:
- Tic Tac Toe (4/2017): Go head-to-head with a friend with this old classic. Github repo.
- inCRUDible People (3/2017): a React app for Creating, Reading, Updating, and Destroying truly inCRUDible people. API and Client repo
- Plant Spirit App (demo) (3/2017): a React app that helps you find plants to meditate with. A collaboration with BPJ. API repo and Client repo
- Number Marriage (1/2017): a React app that brings numbers together in holy matrimony. Github repo
- Morse Kitten (11/2016): a morse code beeper, built with the mozilla web audio api
- Bernard the Moose (10/2016): a personal website for a spectacular moose, built with AJAX.